Tuesday, June 12, 2012

On Life, Death, and New Life

I have found out about the deaths of two dear friends in the past week.  Both were too young to go, (at least in my opinion) Both loved the Lord and were faithful disciples, so I know where they are now...

So why am I so sad?  They were both beloved husbands and fathers, so I am sad for their wives and children who will miss them dearly.  I know I am sad because I will miss them, but they are better off now.  They are with Jesus in heaven. 

I think it is because without their witness, the Light of Christ in the world seems a little dimmer...

Tom was an elder.  He was always willing to help out whether it was repairs, cleaning, or even cooking.  He was a scout leader, and showed so many young boys how to be strong men of God.

Darin spent time in the Peace Corps and was a soldier.  But in his career, he worked on bridging gaps, learning to relate to people in their own language and culture, and bringing the understanding that is needed to have peace.

The light of Christ shown brightly in both of them.  They made a difference.  They lived radiating the light of God's love.  So, when they went home to heaven, we lost that bit of light.  Now we have to make up the difference.  The world so desperately needs people who live into hope, light, love and peace.

I thank God that I had the chance to know them both.  Now that they are gone, we have the duty to follow their example and try to let the light of Jesus shine through us as it did through Tom and Darin. That is a huge task.

Thank you, saints, for your faithful service.

I will do my best to keep the light shining until I join you "leaning on the everlasting arms."

No comments:

Post a Comment