Monday, August 13, 2012

All I Need To Know I Learned From "The Sound of Music"

I woke up this morning singing the theme from "The Sound of Music."  This musical holds a special place in my heart.  From the time I was three or four and my parents took me to a special showing in the local movie theater I was in love.  It got me interested in singing and acting.  My favorite doll, I named Liesl.  My first dramatic role was Louisa in a community production, and I can practically quote the whole thing.

So what does this have to do with our faith?  I think I learned a lot of good Christian habits from "The Sound of Music."  So for fun, I thought I would share some of them with you.

First and foremost:  When God closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.  (Thank you, Reverend Mother.)  Another way to look at it is that God's plans for you might not be what you planned, but they will be good.  God might need you to be the mother of seven children more than a nun.

Second, when things look really overwhelming it is OK to say, "Oh Help!"  God promises to hear our prayers and goes with us when we think we have gotten in way over our head.

Third, Music is a proper response for practically anything: fear, joy, sorrow.  It will chase away thunderstorms, make boo boos feel better, and heal sorrow and loss.  Just look at some of the Psalms.  There are happy Psalms of praise, there are angry Psalms, there are Psalms of lament.  If you can't put what you feel into the words of a prayer, try looking to music.  God will understand.

Fourth, and close to my heart, when a child puts frogs in your pocket or spiders in your bed, they may just be looking for someone to love them for who they are.  That was my whole philosophy of Youth Ministry for sixteen years.  Some of those mischievous youth that made me want to pull my hair out have grown into wonderful, mature Christian adults.

Finally, sometimes there are evil forces or people that have to be stood up to.  When the Hitlers of the world say that you have to join them, you must find the strength to say "no."  It may cost you to stand for your beliefs.  There may be mountains to cross.  "Climb every mountain, ford every stream, follow every rainbow, until you find your dream."

May your day be filled with blessings and song!

1 comment:

  1. When God speaks to us, it's rarely in a booming voice from the clouds -- it's usually in far more subtle ways. The Sound of Music is also one of my life-long favorites. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete