Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Non-Random Acts of Kindness

     I saw something today that made me want to stand up and applaud.  It was pouring down rain as I was driving home from the church.  As I came to the intersection at Hwy 67 the traffic slowed to a crawl.  A car was stalled in the busy intersection.  Cars were having to squeeze past it.  The driver was obviously either scared to get out in the rain and the traffic, or was unwilling to abandon the car in the middle of the intersection.

     A Cedar Hill Fire Station Ambulance was going the other way.  These men saw what was going on and pulled over into a bank parking lot and got out of their ambulance.  They donned yellow hazard vests in the pouring rain.  They indicated that traffic should stop.  (Which amazingly it did!)  Then, these three men pushed the car from the intersection to a gas station where the stranded motorist could get help.  As they crossed back I applauded and shouted bravo!  Of course with my windows up and the heavens doing the best to convince us to build an ark, I don't think they heard me.  But if any of you know someone who works at the Cedar Hill Fire Station, let them know that they were noticed doing good!

     All the way home I thought about what they did and it reminded me of those bumper stickers that you used to see, "Commit Random Acts of Kindness."  But this one didn't seem all that random.  I doubt that someone called the fire station and said there is a motorist stuck in an intersection, please come help.  We expect help from Firemen.  They are in the business of helping others.  Shouldn't it be the same for Christians?

     Jesus told us that the two most important commandments were to love God and love our neighbor.  His illustration for who is our neighbor was someone helping a stranger.  Jesus showed compassion to all who needed help or were in pain.  We are called to follow.  Our acts of kindness shouldn't be random.  They should be calculated, intentional, and consistent.  I know that we are sinful human beings and are going to miss lots of opportunities to show kindness to our neighbors, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try.  Try practicing purposeful, intentional acts of kindness.  If we really love God then loving our neighbor, whomever they are, should take a top priority in our lives.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment